Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Show Review: Cold War Kids @ Middle East Down [Monday June 5th]



The idea that music is a life-changing force can be debated until we're all dry in the mouth, but I know that when I was 12 and I first heard Sonic Youth, something changed. Ever since then, a great song or band has always had the power to buoy me and I saw that in action last night at the Middle East.

As soon as the Cold War Kids took the stage, it was like a switch was flipped. They went into action with the passion of a preacher and the ferocity of a hardcore band sprinkling their blend of soul meets classic rock onto the twenty or so people at the front of stage. A few songs later, the crowd had doubled and then tripled. The band was more than four guys with their instruments -- they were one of those groups that simply clicks, feeding off one another from song to song. By midset when they pulled out "Hospital Beds," my arms were covered in goosebumps -- it was that kind of show. Tapes n' Tapes are a good band, but it's hard to figure out why they chose to tour with a band that is probably upstaging them every night.



I know these pictures suck -- I'll have better ones up tonight.

MySpace: Cold War Kids
Audio: "We Used To Vacation"

3 Comments:

Blogger shan said...

hahaha. we were pretty much right next to you at this show. they were amazing - i'm so wishing we could have seen the whole thing.

sweet boston blog, by the way, you're added to the links list.

11:32 AM EDT  
Blogger Lucas "Kip" Owen said...

Dany, you bet I was there. And by the looks of your shots, I was right behind you taking pictures as well. Kind of funny.

I should have some pics up soon. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to get a shot with my canon so my pics aren't that stellar either.

CWK was definitely impressive once again. I will say, however, that the energy was a bit lower then a few months back when they opened for Two Gallants. But that's a given when you poor your soul out on the stage every night for just over 3 months. Plus, they had a bit of sound trouble.

But even with the sound troubles and their fatigue, they still put on one hell of a show. Can't wait for more songs and a full length studio album. Word is, they may make it in to the studio by September. Labels are all over these guys right now.

1:01 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i heart the cold war kids. i just saw them last night at the gypsy tea room in dallas. please post more pics!

"Tapes n' Tapes are a good band, but it's hard to figure out why they chose to tour with a band that is probably upstaging them every night." - dude, i was thinking the exact same thing. my sole reason for going to the show was to see CWK in action.

12:49 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home