Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Saturna

I just got back from The Silhouette, and for those non-Bostonians out there, this is one of the best bars in town. The beer is cheap, they have a pool table and I can always catch the baseball scores. My co-worker Greg turned 24 today, and after he went to see Lifetime, we all met up at Herrell's and then made our way to The Silhouette. The best part of the night could have been easily ripped out of a movie -- it was one of those surreal moments that I'll probably remember for the rest of my life. There was a guy playing harmonica in the bar, and Greg's roommate convinced him to sing happy birthday, and the guy did an upbeat R&B version of the song and everyone in the bar sang along. It was pretty great!



Portland group Saturna remembers why British music was so good 15 years ago. They haven't forgotten about the etheral vocals of the Cocteau Twins or the fuzzed out guitars of My Bloody Valentine. As much as I love dance punk and all of its offshoots, it's refreshing to hear a group that reminds me of some of the great stuff I'd hear on 120 Minutes during the '90s. The band's infectious debut EP is out now.

Buy: ...All Night
MySpace: Saturna
Audio: "Blanket of Stars"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home