Saturday, July 08, 2006

Havana Guns

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I was planning on posting some hip hop today, but when Havana Guns started playing on my computer my Mommy walked into the room to say how much she liked the track. I don’t know if you’ve had a chance to meet my Mom, but she’s got freakishly good taste in indie rock... so I figured I would listen to her for once.

Havana Guns is a band from London that formed in late 2004 and recorded a lone 7” at home with a drum machine in 2005. Released on Good Taste Records, the single quickly sold out of its first pressing necessitating another batch less than two months later. According to their website, the group is readying their debut album to be released hopefully by the end of the year, though news is few and far between.

“N.Y.C.S.” presumably comes from these recording sessions. It's a smoking song with a great backbeat and I can't get enough of it. Havana Guns describe their sound as “motorcycle pop,” but I think they sound more like a new-wave band re-imagined in 2006 with a heart-breaking chanteuse on the microphone. If I were DJing an indie-rock dance night in New York City this summer, then this would be the first song I would play.

Buy: "She Always Goes Down" 7"
Myspace: Havana Guns
Audio: “N.Y.C.S.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home