Thursday, May 24, 2007

The Smashing Pumpkins



I don't know about you, but I'm excited as hell for the new Smashing Pumpkins album Zeitgeist to hit the shelves. Before we go any further, I should probably disclose that I'm a diehard Smashing Pumpkins fan. Anyway, although Zeitgeist won't be released until July 10th, everyone on the internet already seemingly has an opinion about the band's line-up, the first single, the leaked album art, and a million other things. Drama surrounding the Smashing Pumpkins? How 1996.

Yeah I'm not crazy that original members James Iha and D'arcy aren't in the line-up -- hell, I would've been happy if replacement bassist Melissa Auf Der Maur returned to the fold. But I'm willing to overlook that fact. No, I'm not making the argument that "Billy Corgan is the Smashing Pumpkins" or anything like that. All I'm saying is that the Pumpkins are my favorite band of all time and frankly I can't wait to sit down and absorb their first new material in seven years... not to mention, I can't wait to see them play their spectacular live show once again.

If you look hard enough then you should also be able to find their first single, "Tarantula," floating around cyberspace. The song really impresses me for a number of reasons. For one, it stays true to the classic Pumpkins' sound but updates it for 2007. It doesn't sound like a relic of the grunge era, as it shouldn't. Secondly, I like the dirty, metallic guitars and the crashing drums which combine to make the song feel like a train spiralling out of control until the energy is diffused by the briefest of interludes at the end. Lastly, I just love the ridiculously interesting vocal phrasing and melody--it's so different from the tired, boring vocal lines that you hear in most rock (mainstream or indie for that matter). And it's so freaking catchy!

Above is a video of another new song, "God and Country," recorded live in Paris at the Pumpkins' first show since December 2nd, 2000. Get excited!

[Myspace] Smashing Pumpkins

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home