Thursday, December 18, 2008

Flashback Thursday: Sonic Youth "Dirty Boots"



The amount of bands I was exposed to by 120 Minutes is a fairly long list, but the most enduring has been Sonic Youth. It was worth it to stay up late on a school night when I knew I'd be seeing almost two hours of videos I would not see anywhere else.

It was in '91 when I first caught "Dirty Boots," and over the years I would see many videos from the band, but it was this track that will always stick with me. Off of the band's major label debut, when signing to a major label was taboo for an indie group, this track was an underground hit at the height of grunge. While commercial radio may have missed the boat with it, college radio was all over it, and to this day, they still treat Sonic Youth pretty well.

Seventeen years later, the band is still making an impact. Look no further than last year's video for "Lazy Eye," by Los Angeles band Silversun Pickups. It's an excellent homage to a classic video.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home