Friday, October 05, 2007

The Go! Team



I've apparently been living under a rock, because I completely overlooked the fact that The Go! Team released a new album a few weeks ago. Proof Of Youth is not a grand departure from the sound that made them famous--much like 2005's breakthrough Thunder, Lightning, Strike, the record is seeped full of bright horns from the annals of funk and the infectious dance sensibilities of the disco era. This is party starting music, but party starting music with real intelligence.

The Go! Team uses elements from
disparate genres and time periods to compliment and complicate each song. Whether it's rhymes straight from early hip hop ("Flashlight Fight") or the breakneck tempo/attitude of punk ("Universal Speech), cheerleader chants ("Doing It Right") or the light touches of twee ("I Never Needed It Now So Much"), these distinctive components all magically come together in a sound that's both cohesive and enjoyable. Not to mention, dynamic and full of energy. If I sound overly enthusiastic, go buy the album and hit up their shows and I'm sure you'll see what I mean.

[Myspace] The Go! Team
[mp3] "Doing It Right"

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I looove The Go! Team- I saw them play at Lollapalooza a couple years back and they were outstanding. I recently found a band that I thought some fans might be into as well- kind of the same happy, uppity makes-you-wanna-dance-in-your-seat jams. It's an Indonesian band called White Shoes & the Couples Company. You can get a free MP3 at www.mintyfresh.com

1:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home