Monday, September 11, 2006

Boston: Shows [Week of 09.11.06]

09.11: Early Day Miners/Pela @ Middle East Up
09.11: The Rapture @ Middle East Down [free; 8 pm]
09.12: The Strokes/Wolfmother @ Bank Of America Pavilion
09.12: Zero 7/Jose Gonzalez @ Avalon
09.12: Rogue Wave/Jason Collett/Foreign Born @ Middle East Down
09.12: Man Man @ T.T. The Bears
09.13: Mates Of State/The Starlight Mints @ Middle East Down
09.14: The Gossip/Erase Errata/Mika Miko @ Middle East Down
09.15: Magnolia Electric Co./Shearwater @ Middle East Down
09.15: Saintface @ Great Scott
09.16: The Wrens/Craig Werdren/Say Hi To Your Mom @ Middle East Down
09.16: Nouvelle Vague/The Submarines @ The Paradise
09.16: Rev. Glasseye/Annuals @ Middle East Up
09.17: Kasabian/Mew @ The Paradise
09.17: Lupe Fiasco @ Middle East Down
09.17: Scissors For Lefty @ T.T. The Bears

I like having the TV on at all times and one of the stations I've been turning to lately is The Tube. One day I saw it magically pop up on the Comcast guide and I've been hooked ever since. Granted, there is a ton of crap on it because it's not like it's "Dany's ipod 2k7" or anything like that, but I've seen a ton of awesome videos lately, like Modest Mouse, Journey, The Smiths, Echo & The Bunnymen and a ton of obscure '80s clips that I haven't seen in years.

This past weekend was fun-filled and exhausting -- I went down to NYC to catch MSTRKRFT at Don Hill's. I ended up not sleeping Friday night and by the time I made it back to Boston, I had time for a very short nap before Birdmonster went on at the Middle East. Things this week are a little out of control as there is a good show every night and in a few cases, even two, three or four!

While you're juggling your social schedules this week, make sure you keep an eye on the site, as I'll be featuring bits on some of my favorite Boston bands, quite a few of which are starting to make names for themselves outside of the Northeast.

They're airing "Under The Milky Way" by The Church right now -- I love this channel.


09.14: The Gossip/Erase Errata/Mika Miko @ Middle East Down
I have to be honest -- I never did like The Gossip. I really couldn't stand them, but that was until I heard "Standing In The Way of Control" late last year, a track that was the best parts of spiky post-punk, late '80s R&B girl group soul and punk rock all rolled into one. I figured it was one and done with them, but after I heard "Yr Mangled Heart," I was sold on the new album and I set about on a journey of rediscovery. I saw the band once six years ago as support for Sleater-Kinney, and they seemed rough and unsure of themselves, but times change and the band has come into their own, growing into a fit and fighting unit. Also playing are the near legendary Sonic Youth disciples Erase Errata and noise punks Mika Miko. [
18+; $10adv/$12dos]

MySpace: The Gossip
Audio: "Yr Mangled Heart"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home