Thursday, June 22, 2006

JJ72 Breaks Up



I seriously love this band, and I am so sad to see them go. I've been waiting for their third album for more than four years, but apparently record label troubles have led Irish trio JJ72 to break up. Here's a posting from their website:

Reader, we are to let thee know,
JJ72's body only lies below;
For could the grave JJ's soul comprise,
Earth would be richer than the skies.

JJ72 was born during an Easter many seasons ago; today it dies on the cusp of midsummer eleven years later.

Mark Greaney, Fergal Matthews & Sarah Fox wish to express their deepest and darkest gratitude to all of those with impeccable taste who helped and supported the band.

We remember everything, from mechanical birds in Japan to angels in arid Arizona, from broken bones and Berlin birthdays to predatory Portsmouth spiders. For those who disliked and perhaps despised (gasp) JJ72, thank you - how did beautiful photographs exist without a negative?! We crafted two monuments of magnificence for the future aural pleasure and pain of all would be JJ believers and doubters....and for those who care not for the passing of the petulant yet powerful pup....shame on you! Thank you to Hilary Woods for being a dazzling damsel and thank you to all who played music in/with the band. You know who you are.

I remember the first time I heard them, when their self-titled debut came into my college's radio station, WCUR, and I seriously listened to the shit out of that album. "October Swimmer" was my spring jam that year! Two years later when I To The Sky was released, I dropped $30 because I couldn't wait for the stateside release. That day never came, nor did the release of their third album. Hopefully it's finished and it will see the light of day sometime soon.

Lead singer Mark Greaney has already begun working on a new project.

Buy: JJ72
MySpace:
JJ72
Audio: "October Swimmer"
Audio: "I Saw a Prayer"
Audio: "Wicked Game" [Cover - Live Sept. 2002]

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

No one cares, they were fairly dull if you ask me.

3:23 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

JJ72 will be missed. i wanted to see them Live last year but didn't get a chance to.

5:54 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home